Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Research Bog

Some time has passed since my last blog, but the research and work load as remained relatively constant.  As the weeks passed it became one of my goals to better understand the geology on the Florida Reef tract, more specifically the Conch Reef.  As referred by Art I began to read the Systematic Mapping of Bedrock and Habitats along the Florida Reef Tract.  This resource gave me a better understanding of the over all geology of the Florida reef.  Descriptive analyses of the dating methods, ecological preservation, scientific studies, and geological background are given in this reading. 
Having a better understanding of the different types of reef found along the reef tract not only helps with knowing what type of environments I would expect to be there, but also helps with my scientific analysis and tasks involved with categorizing different types of reef.
After already going through the sidescan sonar to find individual targets and outlining their shape, I was able to see the minor differences between each of the coral outcrops.
My next task involved combining data from real time google earth imaging, University of Delaware's sidescan sonar, and NOAA benthic habitats to make a precise classification of different types of reef formations and sand flats.  By combining all of the different sets of available data I was able to create a more appropriate classification of the assigned area.



--
Lyle de la Rosa
Coastal and Marine Geosciences
College of Earth, Ocean, and Environment
University of Delaware
Club Water Polo Secretary
(215)873-9014

No comments: