Tuesday, March 8, 2011

First Blog (Week of Feb. 28)

Before I started doing physical research and data analysis for the Aquarius project in Key Largo, I attended a video conference meeting in order to catch up on all the specs of the procedures and goals for the project. 

The first week of my participation in the NEEMO project mainly involved the interpretation and classification of side scan sonar on the program SonarWiz.  I personally reviewed all of the bathymetry data that was collected by our University of Delaware's Tow-fish.  Specifically, I looked for images or differences that seemed to stick out among the "normal" sea floor.  My results lead to the discovery of many coral formations, spur and groove patterns, ripples, sand waves, large fish groups, valleys/ridges, what looked like a sunken ship mast, many cages, an old railway car, among some other minor discoveries. 

When I came across an image I thought was of significance I labeled it as a target and continued through the rest of the SonarWiz data.  At first I had some difficulties being able to recognize what I was looking at, but with the help of Art, Hilary and Nicole I became better at understanding the software and describing the imagery.

--
Lyle de la Rosa
Coastal and Marine Geosciences
College of Earth, Ocean, and Environment
University of Delaware
Club Water Polo Secretary
(215)873-9014

No comments: